Do’s and Dont’s of Basement Waterproofing
1. Do hire a professional waterproofing contractor who has experience and knowledge in basement waterproofing.
2. Do gather multiple quotes from different contractors to compare prices and services before making a decision.
3. Do install proper drainage systems, such as interior or exterior French drains, to redirect water away from the basement.
4. Do fix any cracks or leaks in the foundation walls using epoxy or hydraulic cement to prevent water penetration
5. Do use waterproofing products and materials that are specifically designed for basements, such as waterproof membranes, sealants, and coatings.
6. Do consider installing a sump pump system to remove any excess water that may accumulate in the basement.
7. Do ensure proper grading around the perimeter of the house to prevent water from pooling near the foundation.
1. Don’t ignore signs of water damage or dampness in your basement, as it can lead to structural issues and mold growth.
2. Don’t attempt to waterproof your basement on your own without proper knowledge and tools, as it can result in ineffective or improper waterproofing.
3. Don’t rely solely on DIY sealants or paints to waterproof your basement, as they are not as effective as professional-grade waterproofing products.
4. Don’t neglect regular maintenance of the waterproofing systems, such as cleaning gutters, maintaining proper grading, and inspecting the drainage system for any clogs or blockages.
5. Don’t cover up existing moisture or water issues with finished walls or flooring, as it can worsen the problem over time.
6. Don’t forget to address any landscaping issues, such as excessive rainwater runoff or inadequate sloping, that may contribute to basement water problems.
7. Don’t rush the waterproofing process – take the time to properly assess the situation, plan the waterproofing strategy, and follow through with professional assistance.
For more information about basement waterproofing in Toronto or to get a quote, call us today: (905)-604-7710